Wherever you live--in a big-city apartment with a blank slate for a balcony, or a new subdivision with no grass or fences, or a mature neighbourhood with a neglected yard--there are simple things you can do to create a successful and wonderful garden space. In this book, author and professional gardener A.H. Jackson shares a lifetime of experience to help you achieve your own vision of the perfect garden:
* Practical advice to get started
* The basics: soil, plant location, watering and sunlight
* Expert-tested lists of the best trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, vines, grasses and more for Canada
* Step-by-step instructions on: lawns, vegetable gardens and container gardens; fertilizers, mulches and composting; greenhouses and other structures; how to handle pest and disease problems
* ''How-to'' sidebars, illustrations and colour photos throughout.
Even if it's been a long time since you helped your parents or grandparents maintain their lawn or weed their vegetable patch, this handy guide is all you'll need to get started.