Pack your bags and prepare to journey to the eeriest of destinations, where elegance, luxury and gracious hospitality co-exist uneasily with shadowy secrets and haunted history. Jo-Anne Christensen, author of several best-selling ghost story books, is your guide on this terrifying tour of some of the world's most haunted hotels, inns and resorts:
* The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel--where a mysterious image of a beautiful blonde appears in a mirror once hung in Marilyn Monroe's poolside suite
* The Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast in Massachusetts--home to the spirits of Abby and Andrew Borden, both slain in one of America's most notorious unsolved mysteries
* The Goldfield Hotel--once the hub of Nevada's most prosperous mining community, now believed to be a portal to the spirit world
* The Bullock Hotel in Deadwood, South Dakota--where the ghost of the town's first sheriff has returned to maintain law and order
* The Hotel del Coronado in California--where a beautiful female phantom directed an investigation into her own death, nearly one century after the fact
* The Olde Angel Inn in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario--long haunted by ''Captain Swayze,'' the earthbound apparition of a British officer who died during the War of 1812
* The Bell Hotel in Thetford, England--where the ghost of a murdered innkeeper inhabits the Elizabethan painting that was her last image before death
* La Posada de Sante Fe--where the spirit of a gorgeous socialite continues to preside over the hotel that was once her magnificent Victorian home.
Whether you're a ghost story buff or an adventure-seeking traveler, you are sure to find Haunted Hotels most accommodating.