Baseball…it is a game of statistics, but it is also a game of errors, bloopers and crazy moments. Weird Facts about Baseball is a collection of the most ridiculous, funny, and wacky moments that have happened in the history of the game:
• In one of the craziest trades in baseball, Cy Young, one of the greatest pitchers of all time, was actually traded for a suit
• The great Babe Ruth’s big mistake—with two outs in the ninth inning of the seventh game of the World Series, he tried to steal a base against veteran pitcher Peter Alexander
• The record for the most home runs in a season goes to the 1997 Seattle Mariners with 264—Ken Griffey Jr. (56), Alex Rodriguez (23), Jay Buhner (40) and Paul Sorrento (31)
• In the 1970s, the average salary of a pro ball player was $25,000, and in 2008, it was in the neighborhood of $3.1 million
• Ball players are a superstitious lot—Craig Biggio never washed his helmet during the season; Wade Boggs ate chicken before every game; and Vic Davalillo would pet baby chicks before each game
• The 1926 New York Giants hold the record for the longest consecutive winning streak with 26 games in which they beat every National League team.
Plus a bundle more stories from the lighter side of the game.