Enthusiasts and uber-fanatics of just about any sport you can think of can be found in California. Read about the interesting, kooky and popular stories that portray the rich sports culture of the Golden State:
* The Oakland Raiders is one of only two teams in the NFL to have played in the Super Bowl in four different decades
* During the 2007 Summer X Games, skateboarder Jake Brown fell 45 feet before crashing to the ramp; the force of the fall knocked his shoes off, and he was unconscious for eight minutes
* The signature patch O'Neill Surf Shop founder Jack O'Neill wears over his left eye was the result of an accident with an overly elastic surf leash prototype invented by his son
* Yankee manager Billy Martin and Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda were not strangers before the start of the 1977 World Series--the two baseball elders had a fistfight years earlier
* Pro snowboarder Shaun White had two major heart surgeries before he was a year old, entered his first amateur snowboard contest when he was seven, turned pro at age 13, earned his first Winter X Games medal at 16 in 2003 and has stood on a Winter X Games podium every year since.